Antonio Vivaldi (1678-1741)
The Four Seasons (1723)
Is a violin Concerto and an example of baroque instrumental music.
Let’s keep the following questions in mind while we listen to the excerpt below.
- What instrument has the basso continuo?
- Can you hear themes of spring?
- Can you hear the changes between major and minor?
- Does the ritornello come every time the same?
- How would you describe the performance?
Let’s watch Perlman’s version of the first movement of:
Concerto for Violin and strings in E major Spring. 1. Allegro
Note that the movements of the Concerto are given titles in italian that correspond to tempo markings.